Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How do you write Salwar Kameez in Hindi?

Not all of us Salwar Kameez fans are Indians or South Asians. So how is Salwar Kameez written in Hindi, the language most spoken in India - primarliy amongst people in the Northern region. Well, I asked Aparna, my friend at ShopIndia. She was kind enough to write it down and send it to me. Then she told me about the Transliteration facility available on my blogs, which can allow me to write even in Hindi. Now this transliteration is not translation. So if I write a Hindi word in English, the transliteration feature will look at the phonetics and convert the sound to Hindi characters. I've been having a field day since then. I know some Hindi words used in English, like Salwar Kameez, Namaste, Sari, Khaki, etc., and I have been converting them using this transliteration feature. So here is how Salwar Kameez looks in Hindi 'सलवार कमीज़ .' And here's how Namaste 'नमस्ते,' Saree 'सारी' and Khaki 'खाकी' appear visually.

Well, so much for our Hindi class. Catch you later on a discussion of Salwar Kameez.

No comments: